The Greenfield Public Library was established in 1914. The Greenfield Women's
Club was largely responsible for collecting donations of money and materials. The library
rented a room above, what was at that time, the First National Bank, and then
later rented a second room. The book collection outgrew this space and in 1943
a commercial building was donated to the city for use as a library. Then the Library
Board made a decision to build a new library. Mary Hill Downard donated the land to
the city. A ground breaking ceremony took place on May 1, 1990.
On December 14 & 15 of that year, the library was moved. Greenfield Elementary School students formed a
human chain and passed the books from the old library a block away to the new library.
Greenfield High School students came to move heavier items. Many people in the community donated
many hours of their time to make it all happen.
On May 1, 1994 there was a note burning ceremony. The debt of over $100,000 was paid off
by donations, memorials and all kinds of fundraisers. The support of the community has
been and continues to be the greatest asset of the Greenfield Public Library.