The Greenfield Public Library was established in 1914 with the Greenfield Women’s Club being largely responsible for collecting donations of money and materials. The library rented a room above what was, at the time, the First National Bank on the southwest corner of the city square. They later rented a second room. In 1943, when the book collection outgrew this space, a commercial building was donated to the city for library use.
The Library Board decided that a new building was needed and on May 1, 1990, a ground breaking ceremony was held on land donated by Mary Hill Downard. On December 14 and 15 of that year, the library was moved. Students from Greenfield Elementary School formed a human chain and passed the books from the old library a block away to the new library. Greenfield High School students came to move heavier items.
Many people in the community donated many hours of their time to make it all happen. On May 1, 1994, there was a note burning ceremony. The debt of over $100,000.00 was paid off by donations, memorials, and numerous fundraisers.
The support of the community has been, and continues to be, the greatest asset of the Greenfield Public Library. If you would like to support the Greenfield Public Library, please select the Contact Us tab and send us a message.